This is an exciting post for me!! This is my first recipe post!!! So welcome to my kitchen as I chef it up for you. I really do love cooking and can’t believe it has taken me this long to do a post like this.
We all know carbs are essential before a long run or race. You need the proper fuel to keep going, so you can perform your best. One of my dear friends Meghan Cooke is an awesome Certified Nutritional Practitioner and Precision Nutrition Coach and I love it when she shares recipes with me. I’m obsessed with her below recipe, its quick, simple and tasty!!
PASTA WITH CHICKPEAS AND GREENS
– 2 cups kamut, spelt or other gluten free or whole grain pasta
– 1 can chick peas, well rinsed
– 2 cups chopped spinach, chard, or kale (or all 3!)
– 1 clove garlic, finely minced
– ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts (chop the walnuts)
– juice of 1 lemon (about 2 -3 Tbsps.)
– olive oil, about ¼ cup, just enough to lightly coat the pasta
– ½ cup feta, goat or non-dairy cheese
– sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Depending on your digestion other great additions include:
Hemp seeds, chopped sun dried or fresh tomatoes, olives, leftover chicken/tempeh or tofu, chopped or shredded zucchini, marinated artichokes.
You can add spices or herbs as well – chili flakes, basil, oregano or mint are delicious additions!
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Rinse chick peas and leave in colander.
- In a large mixing bowl place greens, chopped garlic and any other additional vegetables you may be using.
- When noodles are cooked drain the water over the chickpeas (this will help warm them up a bit.
- Add both noodles and chick peas to the bowl with greens
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, cheese and nuts or seeds. Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss and serve. Add more lemon juice or spices if desired.
I have been eating this pasta the night before my long runs and I feel it has been giving all the proper fuel I need!!
Learn more about Meghan HERE
Donate to my personal fundraising page for DCMF HERE